Friday, May 7, 2010

pdx


Well after three long days blazing a trail across the plains and over the rockies I arrived in the promised land. While I'd looked forward to the experience of a cross country road trip since discovering Kerouac in my early teens, I don't have any desire to do it again. Not to say that there weren't moments of breathtaking scenery and some good times along the way, just a taxing journey.

I did have the good fortune of stopping in Templeton, Iowa, home of my favorite prohibition era rye whiskey. Thanks to Keith, Scott, Killmer, and the rest of the TR gang for being so accomodating. Can't forget what one corporate suit told Keith about his rye: "your story's worth more than your whiskey". Well the whiskey's worth every penny, and the story...priceless.

So upon arrival in this fantastic little town, I look forward to picking up where I left off in Chicago. You can find me at the brand spanking new 'Irving St. Kitchen' crafting libations, and I can't wait to work with the tremendous array of product on the back bar. So much Amaro and Fernet Branca it crossed my mind that Mr. Benjamin Schiller himself must have put the purchase order through to the OLCC. Gonna be a fun ride, the owners group and the management team are among the finest folks I've had the pleasure of working with. And with so many interesting craft distilleries and wineries in the area, we'll be sure to keep things interesting. The food and wine programs each deserve their own chronicalling, but for now I'll leave it to the public to comment on. With the luxury of a Saturday night off I think I may pick up some local pear butter at the farmer's market, smuggle in some Templeton, and have one of the guys at ISK fire up a cocktail I placed on my first Perennial drink list. My gut tells me that it will go nicely with the Slow Roasted Duck w/gingersnap-brown basmati and "pan drippings"....

Orchard Ridge

2 oz Templeton Rye whiskey
3/4 oz Domaine de Canton
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/3 oz simple syrup
2 heaping bar spoons of Pear Butter

build in shaker tin, shake and strain into bucket glass over large irregular ice block. add a slice of pear, ginger, or simple swath of lemon for a garnish if ya like.

Prost!
Bw

No comments:

Post a Comment